Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Tarrafal is a great place to grow

Being branch secretary is quite easy. There is nothing especially challenging about it except for the fact that the computer at the chapel is way jumbled up with all sorts of viruses and no sound, but nothing we can't handle.

We found some other kids from the local school to play football with. Pillow was with us and he liked it a lot. It made me very happy because he is less active, and he's enjoying the time with us. I think it is giving him encouragement to come back to church. He did this Sunday, and I was so happy to see that.

So now that Elder Fonseca is the new Branch President, we're getting stuff done. He works really hard, and has a genuine care for the members, which is good. We helped this one woman, Julia today. She came to meet us and we bought a bag of 25KG of rice for her. She lost her job and had nothing to eat. Tomorrow we're going to go into the mountains and get corn for her, too. She is wonderful, and she is also coming back to church.

Last Sunday was the best church I have had here in Tarrafal. ALL the less actives came and as well as an investigator, whom we are working with and is progressing towards baptism very well. His name is Steven and he is 16. We marked a date with him yesterday, and he said that he could feel the spirit at church.

Yes, I did go to Assomada last week. President Neves was there and gave us the training. It was pretty good, and we have some more guidance to help us find people here. He's very loving and helping toward the missionaries. We're working as much as we can to put his ideas in action.

I'm so grateful for Steven and my companion. I am very happy here, and the work is moving a long. Elder Fonseca said that Tarrafal is a great place to grow because of its difficulties, and I see now that that is true. I feel that I have grown a lot and that I am going to be a much better missionary because of the experiences here.

The best part about Tarrafal would have to be the members. They are the nicest people who're instantly your friends. They're warm and friendly. I have made strong friendships with several of them.

Again, I'm so grateful to be a missionary. I'm grateful for having the chance to be here, helping the people. They make life amazing anywhere you go. I have seen people’s lives change already including my own, and I know that it is all due to the beloved Gospel of Jesus Christ. I'm grateful for his presence in my life and all the help that he gives me in finding his people to bring to him. I know he lives and I know that this gospel is true.

Elder Cuestas

No comments:

Post a Comment