Thursday, November 17, 2011

It's an incredible time to be a missionary!

The trip to Praia was very good. Zone council was only 3 hours this time compared to the usual 6 hours, and we did not fly out until the next day, so we had some free time in Praia.

Elder Caussé gave the training at zone council, too. We’re really close to forming our first Stake here in Cape Verde, so it is an incredible time to be a missionary. He gave us tips on the things that we have to do to make this happen, but his main message is that we have to work harder and in more ways than we have ever before. I don’t know how I’m going to do that, but I know the Lord will, and I know that he’s going to reveal his will to me on how I can accomplish this.

The Fireside was great with about 100 people or so attending. I indeed was his interpreter. I was really nervous to start out with, but when Elder Caussé was talking, I felt that something took over me and everything I said out of my mouth, I was not thinking about it. It was like something was doing it for me, and I was just moving my mouth. I know that it was the power of the Spirit. I was able to translate live word for word. He did not have to stop talking, and I just said what the spirit told me to say. Everyone seems to have gotten the message and Elder Caussé congratulated me on a well done job. I thanked the Lord for making me capable of something I couldn’t have done myself.

The week was not as hectic because of all the meetings we had and trainings, but nevertheless Sofia and Eidy made it to the waters of baptism this last Saturday. I have to say that this was one of the most spiritual baptisms we’ve had recently. Eidy is truly someone that has been transformed by the power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, and especially after such a short time investigating the church. It just shows how powerful God is in changing and transforming the hearts of these people.

Truly it is a miracle how accepting these people have been of the Gospel. I really don’t know how to explain it, and I know that I have no credit for it, but I do know that the Lord has been very merciful of these precious areas of the islands of Fogo and Brava. I’m so grateful for how close I have grown to him and how much I have learned to rely on him, even though it’s something that I still need to work on.

Pai introduced us to a 30 year- old man who came to church yesterday. As we went later on that night to teach him, the spirit was extremely strong. He has been through problems that I cannot comprehend. Elder Weiss and I testified from the bottom of our hearts of the power of the atoning sacrifice of the Savior and the effects that it can have in his life. He said that he’ll pray to see if baptism is true for him. He was very open and extremely frank with us. It turns out that he doesn’t reach out to a lot of people, and yet he’s telling us so many things of his past, and he’s showing us how much he wants our help and how humble he’s to receive the things that we have to say. He´s huge too. He is like 6´7 or something.

Lalo, the man baptized 2 weeks ago introduced us to an investigator named Rosiana. She’s 17 years old, and she says that when she started to come to institute, she felt something that she couldn’t explain, and it got her to investigating what we’re all about. She accepted the invite to baptism, and she already has 2 friends that will help her integrate.

Elder Cuestas

No comments:

Post a Comment