Monday, June 13, 2011

My First Baptism


Last Friday was one of the best days of my mission!
Lacy chose me to baptize him and everything went through as planned. Many members were there to support him and the water was indeed beautiful. It was in the ocean on a rocky shore, where there is this small lagoon perfect for baptizing. After the baptism, we just stood there hugging for a minute. The spirit of the Lord was incredible, and my heart was filled with an intense joy. Lacy said to me that now we’ll be together forever in the kingdom of God. I couldn’t stop congratulating him. We’re indeed friends for life, and I knew that my purpose in Tarrafal is being fulfilled. The church members are so happy to have a new member in the family.

Julia has fallen a few times on the drinking, but she - like Alex - is not giving up and continues coming to church. She has plenty of support from the RS. She loves church and is happy that she’s a member. It’s the best thing that she has in her life.

We have this great investigator, his name is Michel, and we’re thinking he’s going to be baptized in the next two weeks. He’s very smart and is so ready to accept the Gospel. We’re working closely with him and we already have a baptismal date. He’s Tony’s friend so hopefully they can be baptized together.

Very few people have TVs in their houses. There are two channels TCV (Televisão Cavbo Verde) and RTP AFRICA. There are no movies, no newspapers, and no ways to rent movies. There is very little to do here if you’re not a missionary. Mostly there are news or TV movies on those two channels. Not much is known about the US here, only that people think life is perfect over there. We frequently get asked if the Church helps people to migrate over there.

I like that I'm branch president the most and helping this branch move forward. I love my job as missionary!

Elder Gianluca Cuestas

No comments:

Post a Comment